Laboratory & Research
Safety in the lab is everyone's responsibility.
- Lab personnel are responsible for understanding the information in the lab hazard assessment and wearing the appropriate PPE.
- Lab supervisors, Instructors, and PI's are responsible for insuring a hazard assessment has been done for their area, providing effective safety controls, and training personnel on these hazards and safety controls.
- Departments are responsible for safety and accountability of all personnel in the department.
- For a more detailed breakdown of safety responsibilities review the Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Chemical Safety Training: Now online (initial lab safety training)
- Training records kept by EHS
- Department specific training : as applicable
- Training records kept by dept
- Lab specific content: Should include topics described Lab Safety Orientation Checklist guidance document and the Lab Hazard and PPE Assessment. These documents should be personalized to accurately reflect the type of work and hazard present in a laboratory.
- Training records kept by lab
- Equipment Specific training as needed i.e. autoclave training.
- Training records kept by department or laboratory
- Annual Hazardous Waste Identification and Management training (refresher training)
The following documents must be accessible to any person who works in a laboratory space.
- General Safety Documents, Forms, and Policies
- Chemical Hygiene Plan
- Chemical Safety Data Sheets
- Lab Hazard and PPE Assessment
- Lab Inspection Checklist
- University Accident and Injury Reporting Form
EHS partners with Academic and Research laboratories to conduct periodic safety reviews in labs. Included are any academic, laboratories, studios, shops, and areas where hazardous materials/equipment are used or hazardous processes are performed. Our Comprehensive Laboratory Inspection Program (CLIP) provides the "outside" set of eyes to look over routine or new activities as well as the safety controls used to help minimize risk at the university. The Safer we all are the Happier we are!
Shipping Hazardous Materials:
EHS is not currently shipping hazardous materials. Please contact Mail Services to arrange shipment.
CHIMERA has been migrated to the cloud and has a new look!
- The new CHIMERA LINK is www.chimeracloud.org/chimera. Update your bookmarks!
- Upon logging in the first time, users will need to go through a new account verification process to verify your email address and reset your password.
- Please see the Chimera First Time Login Instructions for a step by step process on how this works.
- Email addresses and Passwords are CASE SENSITIVE
- Login is EITHER your username or first.last email address. They are not interchangeable.
- Old Safety Data Sheet (SDS) Search page bookmarks must be updated. Use the Western Safety Data Sheet Search.
- In addition to the conversion to the Cloud, a number of CHIMERA tools and functions have received a facelift during this process, the largest of which is the new Add Inventory tool. For more information related to it and the system as a whole, please see the new client manual attached below.
- Contact email@example.com if you do not remember your email login information.
If you need to register for a new CHIMERA account, use the CHIMERA registration link.
For questions regarding laboratory set up or laboratory safety please contact your department safety coordinator or EHS.